Video Is The Best Content Type For Twitter…Really.
I think the most valuable type of content you can create on X (Twitter) right now is video.
Both short-form and long-form video.
- At the end of 2022, Elon Musk talked about resurrecting Vine and asked Mr. Beast how they could compete with TikTok.
- In a meeting with X employees, Elon discussed transforming X into a YouTube competitor.
- Twitter will pay creators 10% more than YouTube will.
- Twitter is encouraging creators to post their entire videos and podcasts on Twitter because they’ll get pushed.
The Short Form Debate
Miss Excel has:
- 851,000 followers on IG.
- 929k followers on TikTok.
- 55.4k followers on X.
Two data points we’re going to look at here:
1. Platform vs. Platform Engagement
Miss Excel posted this video across TikTok, Instagram, and X.
And it performed better on X, despite her audience being 15x bigger on both Instagram and TikTok.
2. Account Growth
Twitter’s algo in July. According to NFT God, “13,000+ lines of changed code.”
One of the learnings, Twitter is pushing short-form video. And it’s noticeable.
From May to mid-July, Miss Excel re-shared her Excel videos on Twitter and the engagement was inconsistent.
One video would get 76 likes. Another 100 likes. And the occasional video would go viral.
Fast forward to the algorithm change, and Miss Excel posted a short form clip every day from August 9th to today.
Every single video ranges from 300 likes to 2,400+ likes.
No changes to the content. No changes to the quality. Always stellar content. Only changes to the algorithm.
And her growth is proof of it:
The Long-Form Proof
On May 18th, Elon announced that you can now publish 2-hour videos on X.
And he continues to encourage creators to publish full podcast episodes and YouTube videos straight on the platform.
So, what’s the proof?
1. Theo Von
The comedian Theo Von published a podcast on YouTube. In less than ~24 hours it was taken off the platform.
TheoVon then posted the full episode on Twitter.
Here are the results:
- 80,300,000 impressions
- 58,700 likes
- 47,000+ followers added
2. All In Podcast
The All-In Podcast decided to post the entire podcast onto X. And again, it took off.
Here are the results:
- 27,200,000 impressions
- 3,929 likes
- 4000+ followers
One of the hardest aspects of growing a podcast is awareness.
Because podcast platforms don’t distribute your content. X’s push to drive long-form content is your opportunity to grow your podcast.
But like anything good, it’s time-sensitive.
Wrapping It Up
- Set a base KPI for text-based Tweets to test content before converting it into short-form video
- Short-form video and long-form videos will get punished heavily on Twitter to compete with Youtube
- This article will help you develop your short-form content strategy
- This article will help you win on Twitter after the new algo changes